Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I filed a hit and run after multiple people had told me it…

Hi, i filed a...

Hi, i filed a hit and run after multiple people had told me it was the best option. someone tried to steal my car and my boyfriend ended in a concussion not remembering exactly what happened and just woke up with the car damaged in an alley.. officers found him and told him they cant do anything. we talked to a few people and they said to file it as a hit and run. i did and apperantly someone said i hit their car.. now there are two hit and run reports filed . whats gonna happen now?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

They havent said anything about a court date

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this a free service to answer my questions?

3/20/2018
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Have you or the other party been charged with anything? Were you present to witness the hit and run?

no one has been charged with anything yet, the last thing the insurance adjuster said was that someone needed to come see the damages on my car
i cant call, i am working

If criminal charges are going to be filed, it will be at the discretion of the DA, after the police investigate and see if there is evidence of this and a basis to turn the case over to the State to file. As far as the insurance adjuster, if you did file a claim, they do need to come out to see the vehicle, so if you want them to pay for the damages, this needs to be done.

i understand that they need to come see the car.. but i dont understand whats gonna happen to me for listening to people and filing a hit and run report

Was this a hit and run or not? Were you driving it or a passenger?

my boyfriend was driving it a night before, he got attacked and blacked out. woke up in an alley to officers knocking on the window. officers said that they didnt see anything so they cant find whoever did it since no one was at the scene apparently. then we were told by other people to file it as a hit and run to see if the insurance can pay for the damages but then after i did my statement with the adjuster he said that someone filed a claim against my car as a hit and run bc an office had left a report note on their window..
i can call after work for your service
but i need answers now to calm me down and help me figure this out

In order to file it as a hit and run, you need to have knowledge and evidence that this happened. The fact that your boyfriend had the car and does not remember, does not necessarily make this a hit and run since it is possible he caused the damage. You can not file a claim about something that did not happen and it would have to had been him who filed a police report about this and the damage to the car.

He needed to file a report about the attack and incident and how this all started. If you were not there, how do you know it was a hit and run and they can claim fraud on your part?

i did not know that.. i was told to file a hit and run report so i did.. now thats done what can i do next to not have any issues. what does a fraud do to me then..
its not fair i didnt know what to do and just did what people suggested

You can try and amend the report and have him come with you, since he was the victim and can make a statement, about everything that happened. Just because people told you to do something, does not mean it was the right thing and you can try and amend and correct this.

going in to amend the report i filed will it lead to anything serious on my end. i am currently a DACA holder

Not if you correct it and explain the misunderstanding and have your boyfriend with you, advising as to what happened.

should i wait until my insurance says anything or go on ahead and amend the report?

Amend it or else this can be viewed as fraud or filing a false statement, which are both criminal and civil matters.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty