Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I got arrested last night and released with detention

certificate (under PC 851.6) in...
I got arrested last night and released with detention certificate (under PC 851.6) in California , will charges be filed? TThe certificate says it was a detention only, not an arrest.What should i do now?
3/20/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

No, a detention is not an arrest.

If you were held in detention and then released, you should not expect charges to be filed.

It doesn't appear that there's anything you need to worry about in regards ***** ***** and there's nothing else that you need to do concerning this matter.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Thank you Nisha , Will they can file charges in the future?

Potentially, depending on what exactly the allegations were, but it is very unlikely.

If they were going to charge you, they would have done so at the time.

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate, thanks!

I noticed you already rated earlier, thanks!

Last night on my way back to home , i requested Uber , Uber driver hit me and then i called 911 , Cops came to the incident happened place and had a conversation with Uber driver , then they took me to Police Station , i had injuries , later they released me near to the hospital with Detention Certificate,The certificate says it was a detention only, not an arrest.What should i do now?

I don't think there's anything you need to do now, unless you want to press charges against the Uber driver.

Your case is considered closed since you were released and no arrest made.

I'm not sure why the police would not have arrested the driver last night and charged him with a battery, or did they?

They let him go ! I called 911 for help , cops came and had a discussion with Uber driver. It's just a nightmare for me , i called 911 for help , it backfired me.

I'm sorry to hear that.

You can potentially go in to the station and ask to speak with a supervisor or a sergeant, and make a complaint about this, and see if potentially they can move forward with an arrest of the driver.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Being an Non Immigrant , i don't want to get into trouble . I am scared now , calling help for 911 resulted me in detention certificate. I am worried about my future immigration prospects, thank you very much Nisha !

You're welcome, no problem.

Since there was no arrest made, this won't have an impact on immigration status.