Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My car was towed by abq pd a few moths back I was actually…

My car was towed...

My car was towed by abq pd a few moths back I was actually not in the car at the time I was inside of a store and when walked out I was arrested my car was towed I went to jail. I just got out and the tow company wants like 3000 bucks for my car. There was a warrant out for my arrest for a probation violation but not a warrant for my car. Does the police have any financial responsibility in this matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

I have been sentenced on my Pv and new charges on probation now

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Nm

3/20/2018
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer

The short answer is no. The police are usually not obligated to pay impound fees for the time that you were incarcerated. If you were arrested, it is unlikely that law enforcement would have left the car in the lot unless you offered to make alternative arrangements for getting the vehicle picked up. You could try and negotiate with the towing company/impound yard. Explain to them your situation and see if they will agree to less money in order to get the vehicle out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank u even if the police failed to contact me 27 days after the car had been released

I'm not sure what you mean about failing to contact you are the car been released. Can you be more specific?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the cops put a hold on the car on sep 5 th it was realeased 7 days later my, wife and I called every few days to see if it had been realesed they kept telling us they still had a hold on the car then 27 days later they finally told us it had been realeased

Thanks for clearing that up. Were you calling the cops to find out if it had been released or the impound lot?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both but the cops said they had no idea what was going on with the car or any paperwork on why it was towed the only time I spoke to the officer was after that 27 days to tell me I could pick up the car

Given the circumstances, you might have some type of claim. Was the impound lot telling you that it had not been released by the cops?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
every time I called they said it was still on hold from cops who do I file the claim with

I would file a claim with the cops. If the car had been released, they should have contacted the impound lot so that you could pick up the vehicle. The fact that didn't happy obviously screwed you financially. I would start by trying to discuss the matter with a supervisor at the police department to see if you can work this out amicably.

Jonathan Holson

Does that help? Do you have additional questions? If not I would appreciate a five star rating. Good luck!!

Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson