Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am looking to annul a criminal record of disorderly

Hello, I am looking...

Hello, I am looking to annul a criminal record of disorderly conduct in NH that was a violation in 2006, I did get a careless and negligent misdemeanor in VT in 6/2008 . I have not been convicted of anything since 2008. if I have a clear record for last 12 years am I eligible to remove those?

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

Appeals?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the disorderly conduct occur?

NH

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I also want to remove a criminal trespass violation from 1997.

3/20/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

You are eligible to petition the court in NH where you received the violation to have the record anulled (you only have to wait one year from the completion of the sentence to do so). The petition can be found here. After your Petition to Annul is filed, it is presented to the prosecutor’s office for their assent or objection. Thereafter, whether or not the Court grants the Petition to annul is discretionary. The Judge who reviews and rules upon your Petition must determine whether granting your annulment request is warranted and “will assist in the petitioner’s rehabilitation and will be consistent with the public welfare.”

The conviction from Vermont must be expunged by the courts in Vermont, so you'll have to file a separate petition to expunge (have all records destroyed) of the case there. The instructions to do so can be found here. The petition can be found here.

Of course, you can also hire a private attorney to handle these matters for you, but expect to pay at least $1,000-$1,500 on average.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will the DC NH violation be affected by the later negligent operation, and gross negligent vt charges?

Thank you for accepting my initial answer and your reply. I was out earlier and got a notification that a customer had replied to me but couldn't see this until I was back in my office.

During the investigation phase of the annulment process, the Department of Corrections (DOC) will document your out of state convictions. These convictions can impact the DOC’s recommendation to the court, but it's been 10 years since any conviction and 12 since any issues in NH. Plus, a violation is a very low level offense - so I don't think it will be a problem.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer