Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can u tell me wat to say to a prosecutor to drop a battery…

Customer Question
Please can u tell me...
Please can u tell me wat to say to a prosecutor to drop a battery charge
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/20/2018
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

There's no magic phrase that will get a prosecutor to drop criminal charges. If it was easy, people would do it all the time. And, keep in mind that it is a prosecutor's job to protect the public, and they take that job very seriously, especially in cases like battery/domestic violence. Whether to prosecute a case depends on a number of factors -how strong the prosecutor believes the evidence is, the prior record (if any) of the defendant, the nature of the charge(s), whether there was any physical injury and the severity of said injuries, and sometimes, the wishes of the victim, and so forth.

A victim can inform the prosecutor that they do not wish to cooperate in the matter and does not want to continue the case. But the case can still move forward, because only the prosecutor can decide whether to drop a case. Even if the victim refuses to testify. But an uncooperative victim or a victim who changes or recants their story can make it difficult for prosecutors to prove their case. An uncooperative might make themselves unavailable during the investigation or trial. He or she might not show up for depositions, might admit they wanted their attacker to leave the house but not be prosecuted, might fail to remember some or all of the facts of the incident in question, or they might simply downplay the impact of the incident. All of that can make it difficult for a prosecutor to prove their case, and they may decide ultimately that if the victim doesn't want to cooperate that there isn't enough to build a case on and dismiss it outright.