Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I would like to get some clarification on Oklahoma

expungement law. Statute can be...
I would like to get some clarification on Oklahoma expungement law. Statute can be found at this website: http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=440214.The section in question says this: "11. The person was convicted of a misdemeanor offense, the person was sentenced to a term of imprisonment, a suspended sentence or a fine in an amount greater than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), the person has not been convicted of a felony, no felony or misdemeanor charges are pending against the person, and at least five (5) years have passed since the end of the last misdemeanor sentence."I am confused on that part that says: ".. at least five (5) years have passed since the end of the last misdemeanor sentence." In this particular case the sentence was 1 year county jail plus $1000 fine and court cost. The defendant got out of jail after six months for good behavior and working in the jail but was allowed to make monthly payments for fine and court cost. Those cost were not paid off until another two years had past. So where it says ".. at least five (5) years have passed since the end of the last misdemeanor sentence." Does that mean five years from the time he was released from jail or five years from the time fine and court costs were paid off?
3/19/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Your fines and court costs were part of your sentence. So it would be five years from when you had no further obligations with regard to your case at which time your sentence was completed and your matter was finally closed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was afraid of that. What is chance a judge might be more lenient and just base sentence on jail time? Have you personally handled any expungement cases?

I am not a Colorado lawyer. However, when a requirement is statutory, a judge would be required to comply with the statute.

Zoey_ JD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD