Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am wondering if I am able to fight my case? I think he…

Customer Question
I am wondering if...

I am wondering if I am able to fight my case? I think he might have illegally searched my car?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I went to court and plead not guilty. I made too much money for a court appointed attorney. And my next court date is April 11th

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I refused the search to my car. He had a drug dog in his police car. He ran the dog around the car and said he hinted something on my driver's side. He found nothing inside my car. Tried to Pop My Trunk but could not find the button, I noticed him trying to look for it back and forth from side to side a few times. Then he took the key out of my ignition and open my trunk. Finding my marijuana and meth with paraphernalia.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/19/2018
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 1 month ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think I have a fighting case?

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, it is possible that the evidence found and that is being used by the State, can be suppressed. You would want to retain a criminal defense attorney to look over the facts of the case and see what is stated in the report and also depose the officer, who searched the vehicle and stopped the car and made the arrest. If the search was illegal, the evidence could be suppressed. They will also need to find applicable case law to support their argument as well. If there was no basis to stop the car or reason to search it, you could have a defense.

Ely, Counselor at Law