Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am transgender. I received a check for $50 under my former…

Customer Question
I am transgender. I received...
I am transgender. I received a check for $50 under my former (male) name. It, to my recollection, was from a health insurance visit as an overpayment. I have seen many doctors so I didn't think this unusual. I took it to my bank and they cashed it.Today I received a bill for $179 for an appointment and services rendered to someone who has my former male name. The lightbulb went off and I believe now that they must have been the intended recipient of the $50 check and thus when I go to correct the bill for $179, I should also make sure I repay the $50 and ensure that the doctor's office/billing knows that despite this being my former name, I did not receive the services and want to fix the erroneous check deposit.My question is--will I get in trouble legally (go to jail, warrant, etc) for the $50 check? I ran a warrant search on my old name and didn't see anything and as I said it was a check to my former legal name. I'm very nervous about it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/19/2018
Criminal Lawyer: PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law replied 1 month ago
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

My question is--will I get in trouble legally (go to jail, warrant, etc) for the $50 check? I ran a warrant search on my old name and didn't see anything and as I said it was a check to my former legal name. I'm very nervous about it.

Response: No. You did not do anything wrong. You realized the error and you are now trying to fix it. That's that.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there won’t be a police report? I’m literally driving to the hospital to sort it out (I’m 2.5 hours away unfortunately) when the billing Dept opens. My thought is they probably don’t even realize the mistake but could they person the check was intended for call the cops?

So there won’t be a police report?

Response 1: Yes. There is no need for it. You did not do anything wrong here. You need to stop panicking.

I’m literally driving to the hospital to sort it out (I’m 2.5 hours away unfortunately) when the billing Dept opens.

Response 2: Please do not rush and get into car accident. You did not do anything wrong here. Take your time in getting to the office today or tomorrow or before the end of the week.

My thought is they probably don’t even realize the mistake but could they person the check was intended for call the cops?

Response 3: No. I do not see how. Again, you need to calm down. You did not do anything wrong.

Best wishes,

PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law