Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I received food stamps for a child living with me at the…

I received food stamps for...
I received food stamps for a child living with me at the time and now doesn't. I failed to report when they moved out. Now I have a recertify letter do I report they already moved out or just not recertify? At the same time they tried to apply for food stamps on their own and wants to report fraud. I'm not sure what to do or what will happen. What can I expect and what do I do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

I would suggest that you report the move out and give them the actual date that she left. You can say that you did not realize you were required to report and did not realize that you were still receiving benefits and that you thought the child would be returning to you. The Department of Agriculture is not going to prosecute you in any way for an honest mistake, and they usually don't ask you to return the benefit that you received. It is not fraud since youi did not do it intentionally, so there is really nothing to worry about here and the child will get food stamps benefits elsewhere depending on where she is living now.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I called the social worker she responded that I was receiving benefits for two months. Should I offer to pay it back or if they start an investigation can i pay it so it doesn't go further?

Offer to pay it back now is the safest strategy. That way you have "clean hands" if they should start an investigation.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor