Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Does a deferred adjudication count as criminal charges

Does a deferred adjudication...

Does a deferred adjudication count as criminal charges currently pending against you?

Lawyer's Assistant: What were they charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?

A misdemeanor for a minor-in-possession citation No upcoming court dates

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Wisconsion

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well yes to give proper context, I would like to know simply on a job application form could the person file no or yes as I know that a deferred adjudication is not a conviction'

3/19/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Deferred adjudication here is not a conviction.The case was dismissed here because you successfully completed the terms of the deferment.You would not have a conviction from the arrest and you can honestly answer no as far as convictions here in Wisconsin.

Reference

Successful completion of a deferred prosecution agreement does not constitute a conviction under the statutory definition of conviction for immigration purposes, because the defendant completes the required conditions and obtains a dismissal of all charges. No plea of guilty or no contest has been entered at any time.

3.34 1. Deferred Prosecution | Norton Tooby

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
I appreciate the swift response just one more detail to add if the person did not complete the terms but were in the process could they still answer no. Thanks

Yes they could, haven't been convicted yet its been deferred pending completion.

Much appreciated!

Have a great evening and bye for now.