Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What happens if I got renters insurrance, but the I

What happens if I...

What happens if I got renters insurrance, but the I unintentionally put the wrong adress on my application and filed a claim and the insurance company says it was fraud concealment

Lawyer's Assistant: Have fraud charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No they havent to my knowledge they havent

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the fraud occur?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The insurance company said the claim is being investigated, but the injured person had already dropped the claim

3/18/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Ok

The fact that the claim is dropped would not prevent the insurance company from investigating to see if the filing of the complaint was fraudulent. The company wasn't damaged but the act itself, if true, would be unlawful and a criminal offense.

If the insurance company determines that a fraud was committed, you'd be notified and would be given an option to contest the findings. If you don't, the company will go with what information they have and likely turn over their case to the prosecutor's office for evaluation. If the prosecutor agrees that you may have committed an intentional fraud, they will file charges for insurance fraud, and exactly what you intended when you filed the claim would be a question of fact for a jury to resolve if you wanted to fight the case.

If, on the other hand, you present them with information that would indicate you made an unintentional mistake, they would have no reason to prosecute you. However, since anything you say to anyone other than a lawyer can be used against you, it would be best that if they do find fraud that you talk to them only with or through a criminal defense lawyer if/when that time comes.

Thank you

If the claim is dropped, the insurance company may very well close the investigation, as they did not sustain any damages. But theoretically they can go forward, and that's how you'd deal with it.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD