Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Hypothetical: if a person is diagnosed as mentally healthy…

Hypothetical: if a person is...
Hypothetical: if a person is diagnosed as mentally healthy by a psychiatrist - in their early 50's, does this not eliminate
the possibility of serious mental illness such as schizophrenia? Can depression develop in such a person, it seems almost
a remote possibility at best, ***** ***** your experience? If a husband emotionally abuses and scares his wife then thinks she
may need mental treatment and considers if he will call someone to help with this, can his role be proven and if it is not a
crime (yet), what measures can be taken against such a person by the wife or especially the community and how? So
these things tie together, how is this for the victim?
3/18/2018
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Mental illness can arrive at any time. In my experience, it would be very rare for schizophrenia to manifest itself this late in life, but depression can arise at anytime. Depression could be an organic issue, which means that it would always be present to some extent. Organic depression is typically treated by medication and therapy. Depression can also be situational, for example caused by the death of a loved one or loss of a job. Medication might be used in such a situation as well as therapy for treatment purposes. If the wife is being abused and scared by her husband she should pursue an Order for Protection. No one deserves that.

How important is mental illness in your experience with your cases? If a person is suspected of depression by a layperson,
is this enough to call out the police to haul them to the hospital? There would then be no symptoms, just looking for a comment
here. The computer is also not allowing a rating, so am asking these questions and if you can "unlock" the screen for rating,
fine. I will then do that or call JA to get them to help this get rated.
Depression is not a big deal. Suicidal ideation is. Cops/ambulance will generally show up for that and potentially transport to the hospital.
Jonathan Holson