Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How many years will I get for embezzlement. Ms. That's it…

Customer Question
How many years will...

How many years will I get for embezzlement

Lawyer's Assistant: Have embezzlement charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the embezzlement occur?

Ms

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/18/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What was the amount that you allegedly stole? Do you have any prior felony convictions?

Probation is possible for this kind of crime. So if you have no prior felony convictions, your lawyer could probably negotiate a plea offer for you consisting of probation with restitution to the victim. It's in the victim's interest that you be able to pay back what you stole and the chances of that are better if you're allowed to remain at liberty and be able to work.

Embezzlement of less than $1,000 is a misdemeanor with a maximum possible penalty of 6 months of jail

Embezzlement of more than $1,000 but less than $5,000 is a felony with a maximum possible incarceratory penalty of 5 years in prison.

Embezzlement of more than $5K but less than $25K has a maximum possible incarceratory penalty of 10 years.

Over that, the maximum possible incarceratory penalty is 20 years.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.