Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a capias warrant in the state of florida for missing…

I have a capias warrant...
I have a capias warrant in the state of florida for missing a status hearing because I was driving without a valid license, I missed the date because of pure stupidity. How do I get this to go away? Can I call the courts and reschedule?
3/17/2018
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Thank you

In a situation like this, a motion can be filed to list/vacate the warrant and reset the court date. Good cause would need to be shown and it would need to be explained why you failed to appear and you can ask the Juge to lift this and reset the court date so you can appear to answer it. It would be in your best interest to retain a criminal defense attorney to do this but if you can not afford one, you can file it on your own and see if the Judge will grant it.

How would I go about filing it? I'm not really sure how to get a lawyer

On Monday, you can contact the Florida Bar and they can place you in contact with a criminal defense attorney in the county where this is pending. Here is their information.

Phone(###) ###-####br />Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

For something like this, they may be able to even appear on your behalf and resolve this without you even needing to appear.

okay, I was meant to get my license fixed before the court date but was going to ask the judge for more time because I have two jobs and college and I really couldn't get to the DMV. Will the judge put me in jail for that
I am 24 and I have a clear record, nothing on it except now this

No, if this is your first offense, it should not result in jail and if you can obtain a valid license an present it to the court, they State Attorney may dismiss this or just impose a fine and court costs and withhold adjudication, so it is not a conviction.

okay, does the capias warrant mean they suspended my license? I dont have one so I dont know if they can suspend it if I dont have one. I dont know if I go to the DMV if they will let me get my license.

It may, so you need to get it lifted first and then can get your license. You should have a few weeks once this is done, so there is time to get the license.

They just put the capias warrant on me yesterday. So that is enough time? I apologize I am just trying to be thorough so I dont go to jail because this was just a mistake

Enough time for what?

Have they already put the suspension on my license, if I were to go monday. Because if I go to the courthouse to get it lifted wont they arrest me?

There is no way of knowing how quickly it will hit the system and update. You can try and go but as I shared, reinstating you license is secondary. You need to get this lifted and the case reset first and then you can simply go and reinstate after and when you appear, have a valid license.

okay. I understand now, sorry for the misunderstanding. I will call on monday to get a lawyer and they can take care of everything as you said, right?

You are welcome. Yes, they would file the motion and start the process to get this resolved and taken care of and act in your best interest. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty