Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have court on Monday in circuit Court. I just got a plea…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have court on Monday in circuit Court. I just got a plea Thursday of last week. The attorney tells me if I don't accept the plea then I can't get a bench trial. If I ask for a jury trial either way the judge will revoke my bond. How is right I feel like I'm being bullied into the plea. Isn't my right to ask for trial.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Monday morning

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Virginia

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/17/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Chances are they are not going to put you in jail, but the attorney and Commonwealth attorney will use these scare tactics to intimidate a plea for sure. You are entitled to a reasonable bond, that is your constitutional right. You also have a right to due process and if you did not do the crime you should not plead guilty to it or take a plea deal. You have a right to choose between a bench and jury trial, again that is a constitutional right.

If you want a trial, stick to your guns and insist on a trial.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer