Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

We have a an issue with marijuana left in a hotel room

Customer Question
We have a an...

We have a an issue with marijuana left in a hotel room across state lines that may have been reported to the police. The marijuana could not have been more than residue. The reason the hotel may have reported it is because of an issue that ocurred at the hotel the same night. A guest assumed that we were trespassing in the pool at night, although we were also guests at the hotel, called the police, and lied to the police about being a manager, she also lied to the police about her name. There were three people in the room, one of which smoked marijuana on the porch later that night. Marijuana was not involved in the incident. We got a call that marijuana residue was left in the room from the hotel. This hotel is in Utah, we are California residents that are currently back in California. We just got a call from the police that we let go to voicemail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have trespassing charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a UT lawyer about this yet?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
The police only indicated that this was about the "incident" at the hotel, but did not reference the marijuana. We are wondering if there is a possibility of any of the hotel guests being charged with possession/consumption of marijuana under Utah law, which is a class B misdemeanor, while they are in California. One of the guests did smoke marijuana on the porch and there may be a recording, though i am not sure.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/17/2018
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 4 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Do you know how long after you checked out, this may have been reported?

Good morning. It must have been at least 24 hours as I received a phone call from the hotel the next day and at that point the police had not been contacted

Thank you for the reply. There is nothing which would prevent them from charging you if they wanted to but it may be hard to prove, if this was a hotel rental and you checked out and other people had access to the room after and there is o way of knowing who the marijuana belonged to. You have no legal obligation to return any phone calls or speak with the police or the hotel at this point and I think it would be hard for them to prove the allegations against you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!