Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was scammed in a business deal. I tried to get the FBI…

I was scammed in...

I was scammed in a business deal. I tried to get the FBI interested. The woman was transferred to another division who was working on my case. Then my case got dropped. She said it wasn’t worth $1 million and that I needed another one for the FBI to get interested. I located another case on the Internet for $860,000 which the same man was involved in. What can I do now? I am very worried because I am being sued. I live in Florida and can’t afford legal fees. I’m 75. I’ve tried calling legal aid Several times and nobody gets back to me. Several times and nobody gets back to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have fraud charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No, How do I do that? How do I do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this yet?

I can’t really talk to a Florida lawyer because I don’t have money to pay one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can’t really talk to a Florida lawyer because I don’t have money to pay one I don’t know what else to say

3/17/2018
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the response. This has nearly killed me....had a heart attack and stroke because of the stress. Now I am getting sued again.....three years of constant stress ....

Your Question:

I was scammed in a business deal. I tried to get the FBI interested. The woman was transferred to another division who was working on my case. Then my case got dropped. She said it wasn’t worth $1 million and that I needed another one for the FBI to get interested. I located another case on the Internet for $860,000 which the same man was involved in. What can I do now?

Response: You need to contact the FBI again since you have now located additional case, which the man was involved in. You should also go to your local Police Station and file complaint against the scammer.

If you are served a notice of the lawsuit, make sure to respond to it and tell the Court why you must not be held responsible for the debt. If you do not know how to respond to the lawsuit, there are sample forms on the Internet on how to respond to debt collection lawsuits that you can use. So, do not be worried about that.

Also and more importantly, even if this person wins lawsuit against you, he may not be able to ever collect a penny from you because the State of Florida lets you claim numerous assets as exempt from execution. So, the Judgment Creditor cannot reach those assets. See Florida Statutes Chapter 222. Click here for sample exemption form:

http://www.legalservicesmiami.org/downloads/StoppingAFloridaGarnishment.pdf

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. What is your name if I want to call? I have more questions.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you in Florida?

I do not participate in the phone call program. Also, I am not in Florida.

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I ask another question

Yes, you can.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
After I was defrauded, I ran out of money. I had a home in Michigan which I had to sell. I didn’t make a profit on the home. My accountant at this time so that I did not have to file taxes because there was no profit. Lately, I got a letter from the IRS asking for my 2016 taxes and I filed a late form. I asked for an extension. I haven’t done the paperwork yet.This past week, I got a letter Summary Judgement. Now i’m wondering if I should wait with the taxes. I have a little cash from my house which is not the bag. I cannot afford to live on my
Social Security. My dues where I live in Florida on my condo take half of that. I need to work and support myself at this late date. So now I’m in a quandary. I also had this condo up for sale because of the dues here. But this place fell apart during 2008 and I last half of my money On this investment. I’m really between a rock and a hard place.The company that is suing me is A car Company with in-house attorneys. They also own all the auction houses. The man I trusted to be my partner, used my credit line, bought and sold all the cars and left me hanging with the bag. He is a professional thief.He is the one who needs to be sued. But he was very savvy and made me the president of
The corporation. In the meantime, I was sick. I was legally blind from an eye virus. It took seven months to clear. By that time, all the damage was done.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Some. Misspells. Sorry

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties. However, I am having trouble understanding your question re Summary Judgment and taxes. Kindly clarify the question for me.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A company called Nextgear is suing me. They filed a couple years ago. I believe it was the end of 2016. Now they are asking for a summary judgment. In the meantime, I sold a house in Michigan. I’m wondering if they know about it and are going to ask me for the money from that house. I used much of it to Pay bills as I was completely broke. I didn’t file taxes that year because my accountant at that time told me it was not necessary. In the meantime, I did put some money aside from that Sale. I desperately need it to live on right now because I have a Social Security and I can’t cover my expenses. I’m wondering if the sale of the house is going to come up in court ? Also the condo I am living in now and Florida is homesteaded, but it is up for sale and now I’m wondering if I should not sell it before this is over. I can’t really afford the fees here as they take half of my pension. I have no other stocks, bonds or investments. I was a partner in a house with my daughter in Michigan, but last year I quit claimed it to her.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The house which I quit claimed was separate.

Thank you for the information.

Thank you for your patience.

A company called Nextgear is suing me. They filed a couple years ago. I believe it was the end of 2016. Now they are asking for a summary judgment. In the meantime, I sold a house in Michigan. I’m wondering if they know about it and are going to ask me for the money from that house. I used much of it to Pay bills as I was completely broke. I didn’t file taxes that year because my accountant at that time told me it was not necessary. In the meantime, I did put some money aside from that Sale. I desperately need it to live on right now because I have a Social Security and I can’t cover my expenses. I’m wondering if the sale of the house is going to come up in court ?

Response 1: Unfortunately, it may come up when the Court is trying to assess damages and whether you have the ability to pay for the Judgment.

Also the condo I am living in now and Florida is homesteaded, but it is up for sale and now I’m wondering if I should not sell it before this is over. I can’t really afford the fees here as they take half of my pension. I have no other stocks, bonds or investments. I was a partner in a house with my daughter in Michigan, but last year I quit claimed it to her.

Response 2: You can still sell the property because proceeds from the sale of a homesteaded property are exempt from execution. For useful article on this, click here.

Best wishes,

Thank you for your cooperation.

PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the help you have given me. I appreciate itRenee

You are quite Welcome! and thank you very much for the positive rating.

Have a wonderful day,

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Do I have to use an attorney for the summary judgement? My doctor will answer questions on an affidavidit. He did it in the past. Also, I have all kinds of letters I can forward to the judge explaining what happened. I sent the FBI a package the other day 150 pages thick. I have called the attorney twice. She is not returning my calls. I think she wants her $2000. retainer.

If you are being sued as an individual, you do not have to use an Attorney. However, if your are an LLC/incorporated business, most Courts require that you be represented by an Attorney.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will submit to the court an affidavit by my doctor and all the salient things about what occurred, I also have a letter by an attorney which was written to the State of Florida last year. Is there anything else I should include? The attorney I used in the past will not pick up the phone without a retainer. I paid her in full before and in a timely manner so I don’t understand why sh e is being so rude.Thank you so much for your help in this matter. As you can imagine at this tender young age of 75 and a widow, I am a nervous wreck.

Thank you for the information. I am sorry once more for your ordeal.

I cannot think of anything else that you should include.

Goodluck with the case and have a wonderful day!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you for the advice and help. It is so much appreciated.
Renee

You are quite Welcome!

PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law