Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is it a crime for a person to speak vehemently against

Customer Question
Is it a crime...

Is it a crime for a person to speak vehemently against another person in the presence of a person they know has suffered traumatic brain damage and suffers with impulse control and anger control issues? If so, what is the crime and what are the victims rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No charges have been filed because I do not know if it is something I can charge this person with

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I really don't know

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/16/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is no crime to speak against anyone. As long as they are not threatening physical harm, they can speak about someone, even vehemently and that is not a crime. If they are threatening physical harm, then it is assault, which the police can be called for. Just yelling or angrily talking bad about someone is not a violation of any law in NC though.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

It is not so much that she spoke ill of me, but rather she spoke ill of me in the presence of a traumatic brain injury victim with known issues of impulse and anger control which incited him to act out in public against me.

Thank you for your reply.

That is not a crime. It is a crime to threaten you, but what she did is not a crime under the laws of NC I am sorry to say.

Thank you for your time and expertise. I appreciate the information.

Thank you for your reply.