Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My 12 your old was hit and punched in the face at school by…

Customer Question
My 12 your old...

My 12 your old was hit and punched in the face at school by a 13 year old. After he told an administrator, the other child cornered him in a locker room and threatened to "rape his mother" if he snitched anymore. The school has suspended the kid for 3 days but should we file a police report? I'm not satisfied with a 3 day suspension

Lawyer's Assistant: Have rape charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No - it just happened and the school told us "no further action was needed" I disagree

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

He only threatened the "rape" of mom

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

North Carolina

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/16/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Yes, you can file a police report. You're not bound by the school's decision that a three day suspension is sufficient under the circumstances. Battery is a crime. Not only is it important for the child to see that actions have consequences, but a judge can order him to take anger management classes. That may have more of an overall effect on future behavior than a three day vacation from school.

Your son could also sue the child's parents for up to $2,000 under a North Carolina law that makes parents responsible for the willful misconduct of their child. N.C. Gen. Stat., Section 1-538.1. Battery carries punitive damages, so he can seek compensation even if not seriously injured.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?