Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My wife was sexuly assaulted while working for a cannery…

My wife was sexuly...

My wife was sexuly assaulted while working for a cannery back in July of 2017. Just want to know if we would have a law suit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have sexual assault charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Yes we did, and they said there was not enough evidence. To go forward with the case.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the sexual assault occur?

Kodiak Island Ak.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I contacted the company she worked for, and brought it up with them. Just wanted to know what we can due please.

3/16/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends on how long ago this happened...what was the month of the assault?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
July 27 2017 at about 9:40pm

Thanks

Can you tell me, did she file a complaint with the EEOC or AK workplace fairness? IF so how long ago?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No just with the state troopers here in Ak.

THanks
I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news. You have waited too long. Under both state and federal law, if you want to sue the employer for this, the employee MUST make a complaint with either the EEOC or AK workplace fairness within 180 days of the event. SInce more than 180 days have elapsed, it is too late to bring a claim

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that she can still file a claim and sue, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer