Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a current employee that feels he deserves more money.

Customer Question
He has left me threatening...
I have a current employee that feels he deserves more money. He has left me threatening text messages. saying "people have died for less". I chose to pay him more money, so I could end the conversation with him. Now, he has texted me back saying that he has people out that are going to go after me if I don't pay him $2,000. He says I need to pay him this money so they don't come after me. I feel like this is extortion and harassment? Can I go after him in any way?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 1 month ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
awesome.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, if you agreed upon a final amount to pay him and settle this and he is now coming back and making these threats, he could be charged criminally. You can go to the police and file a report and they can look into this but he could be charged with the threats and the extortion. Since you paid him once and he got what he wanted, he is now trying to get more and there is no basis for it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to call the police and file a report. The issue is that I unfortunately have a warrant right now because I forgot to pay a traffic ticket. If I call the police do you think they would arrest me, in your professional opinion.

If they run your name and see this, they would have to. I am sorry to say but they would have an obligation to serve you with it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I figured as much. If I call the police, do you think they would run my name? Why would they look to see about me?

They may not. Even if you call them and speak with them, they will want you to come in and make a statement. I am not saying they will 100% run your name to see if you have any warrants but it is a possibility.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well can you explain to me what a statement would even do for me? This person is texting me death threats and trying to get money out of me. I really don't want to wait for something to happen.

The police can investigate and charge and arrest him for the threats and attempt to extort more money out of you by violence or fear.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty