Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

1st offense, wanton endangerment 1st degree in Kentucky.

Customer Question
1st offense , wanton endangerment...
1st offense , wanton endangerment 1st degree in Kentucky . Court date tomorrow morning . What will most likely happen in court ? Will they be released if no-one wants to press charges or if they don't show up in court . Could you be released after court on the same day
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/15/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 month ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
More info : me and my husband was staying with family members and a few people came to our residence trying to fight him and after being told to leave multiple times a gun was shot in the air but no one was injured , since then my husband and the people that he was into it with have made up and they said they didn't wanna press charges . My husband was picked up lastnight while on his way home for a warrant for his arrest due to this situation . We never knew he had court or even a warrant bc we had moved and didn't get any notification .

What will most likely happen in court ?

The first court date is when the charges against a defendant are read into the record and he will be asked how he pleads to the charges. The judge will also make a bail determination if bail has not yet been set on this defendant. The defendant will have an opportunity to ask for a free lawyer if he cannot afford to retain one.

To decide what bail. if any, to set, the judge will look at the person's criminal history, the facts and circumstances and strength of the case against him, and whether he has ties to the community. The more serious the crime and any chance that he would be a flight risk, the greater the likelihood that bail will be set. But, yes, a defendant can be released on his first court date and allowed to fight the case while at liberty.

In this instance, the charge is a violent felony charge, so it's very possible that even on a first arrest bail will be set and someone will have to post it to get hi out. Here's what he's charged with:

508.060 Wanton endangerment in the first degree

(1) A person is guilty of wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he wantonly engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person.

(2) Wanton endangerment in the first degree is a Class D felony.

____

Will they be released if no-one wants to press charges or if they don't show up in court .

The decision to drop charges or not is up to the prosecutor and not to the victims. The state is entitled to go forward whether the complainants want to press charges or not. The complainants do not have to appear in court. The prosecutor represents all of their interests but would have to be in touch with them so that they could appear for hearings and trial if the case gets that far.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD