Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I've been asked by a detective to come to the police station…

I've been asked by...

I've been asked by a detective to come to the police station regarding a burglary at my ex boyfriend's house. They are in CT, I live in MA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have burglary charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I have no idea... the ex called me a few days ago asking me about it and told me that his son and I were the only ones who knew about his safe... and I just got the call from a detective to go to station

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the burglary occur?

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so?? I really don't know much about it other than what the ex told me the other day...

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I agreed to come in on Monday afternoon to speak with the detective. I asked her if she had any questions for me today that I'd be happy to answer but she wants me to come in.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It is at your discretion to go to or even speak with this detective. You have no legal obligation to do so and you do not have to go there unless you want to or speak with them on the phone, either. You are not legally obligated to do this and it is likely that your Ex gave them your name, based upon the fact that you knew about the safe and it was taken or something was stolen from it and you could be a person of interest. If you want to call them, you and deny knowledge and be done with it. They may ask you where you were on the day and time that this happened and may just want to rule out that you were involved.

I understand it's at my discretion and I know that the ex gave them my name ( he called me and told me so a couple of days ago). I figured I'm a POI for this reason but don't know what further I can tell them. I don't even know when the burglary happened...
I feel like there is no reason for me NOT to go... but also feel uneasy about it given that I'm being told I'm the only one, other than his son, that knew about it. Apparently the whole safe (small, suitcase type) was taken, and nothing else.

You do not have to tell them anything. They are going to ask the questions and as I shared, they will likely want to know where you were and what you were doing, when this happened. You can share with them you only knew of this once your ex-contacted you and you have nothing to do with it and leave it at that. You do not even have to waste your time going in and can do this over the phone.

They are investigating all leads. Once they speak with you, they may close this out and that would be the end of it.

should I be concerned that she didn't want to discuss over phone? I figured same thing...I tell them where I was and be done with it. I'm just feeling uneasy, as I would guess anybody would...

Not really. They likely want to bring you in and record the statement and put some pressure on your to answer. If you are in person, you can not just hang up the phone and in person, they may feel as though it is easier to speak with you and get you to answer. They also want to read your body language.

OK... I guess I just go then and hopefully be done with it.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty