Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I received 2 owi but my lawyer got it to be 1, but if i get…

I received 2 owi but...
I received 2 owi but my lawyer got it to be 1, but if i get another it will be considered my 3rd. the iowa DOT is treating me as if there are 2. is that correct?
3/15/2018
Michael Bradley
It would depend on what the paperwork and How It Was Written when you ended up pleading to the one offense. It may have been one offense for criminal implications but for driving privilege purposes it could be considered a second. You would need to take a look at how the Court wrote up your offense. I would place a call to your attorney who should know that answer. If he does not then you would need to contact the court and get a look at your charging sheet
ok, thank you!!
I don't have a lawyer. As a lawyer not from Iowa, can you access records from the clerk of court in Scott County Iowa?
In your original comment you stated that you had an attorney who was able to broker that deal for you. I was thinking about you contacting that attorney. If that is not an issue I am in court now and I can try to see if I can access those records online.
The lawyer was a public defender.
I just did a quick look on Google and I am not saying computer access to criminal records. I would suggest contacting the county clerk of court who is the head of criminal records and see if these records are available online or if the clerk can pull your case and forward you or read to you the charging sheet
Michael Bradley
I am unavailable from 10-10:30 and 1-1:30 CDT time today.
LegalDan
LegalDan, Law Partner
Phone call session started