Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Would it serve me well to start some kind of outpatient

classes or maybe even some...
Would it serve me well to start some kind of outpatient classes or maybe even some NA meetings? And also you said I could possibly get off with a lesser charge?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Thanks for requesting me. Give me a few minutes to retrieve your previous question and to compose an answer.

Possession of methadone is not typically reduced to a misdemeanor unless the amount is de mminimus. But if you have a substance abuse issue, the odds are very high that you'd be offered something like Drug Court, for which you'd be eligible.

That's a special form of probation where you attend a court-mandated and court-monitored outpatient treatment program. Get a year's clean time under your belt and your felony is dismissed. As I mentioned that's not the only non-incarceratory possibility.

It could certainly help you if you started NA meetings or classes. Courts appreciate defendants who accept responsibility for their actions and who make attempts to correct them.

Thank you so much for your time one last question, how much does a criminal Defense lawyer usually cost a person?
Also the charge was for possession of methanphetamine not methodone

I'm sorry. I knew perfectly well you were charged with possession of methamphetamine and that's what I thought I typed. I function on one less cylinder early in the morning. . .

Methaphetamine is a very serious problem in this country and is almost always prosecuted as a felony, whatever the amount.

As to cost of representation, it depends upon what the lawyer has to do, since he bases his fees on what kind of time it will take for him to resolve your problem.

If you want to go to trial, for example, on a felony matter you can expect a fee of upwards of $15,000. That's because cases hang around for a long time and require paperwork, investigation, motion practice, trial preparation and then hearings and trial. If you want a plea, $2,000 or less would be about average.

Many lawyers take credit cards, and that could help make it easier. And if you were too poor to afford a lawyer, you'd be eligible for a free one.

Zoey_ JD