Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I’m being blackmailed on FB for a video scam that i fell…

Customer Question
Hi I’m being blackmailed...

Hi I’m being blackmailed on FB for a video scam that i fell for

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

FL

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None they haven’t posted anything their account got deleted and now she is requesting me again and asking me to send her money to Ivory Coast

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s all but I don’t want to pay if there’s nothing he can do to help

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/15/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

People who ask a question like yours, and we get several of them every day, typically have answered some backpage ad or had been chatting with someone on the web. The conversation got explicit and they were seduced into sending photos or videos. Then they get blackmailed with them. Pay money or they will publish the video. I'm sure this is what happened to you as well.

You are the victim of a very popular scam.

The scam is so popular, in fact, that it has brought a new word into the language -- sextortion, short for sexual extortion -- and if you Google "sextortion scam" you'll get an idea of how popular this fraud is.

Unscrupulous people hang out on chatrooms and other places where couples can connect for sexual encounters and chat. They entrap you into exchanging photos or videos, and then they turn around and threaten to publish the videos to your friends and family if you don't pay them money.

DO NOT PAY THEM A CENT!

You should never give into a blackmailer. THey NEVER strike just once and if you pay her once, she'll be asking you for more money and more money and more money and more money. And you'll never get rid of her as long as you're willing to keep paying, which means you could end up supporting her all of your life.

On the other hand, if you block her, ignore all of her contact and requests and send her nothing, she may do nothing at all. Her only real power is in her threats. She gets absolutely nothing from exposing you.

Believe it or not, nothing she can do to you is worse than what you can do to yourself if you pay her.

As many times as we get stories like yours, we have only rarely seen the blackmailer follow through with the exposure. That's because she gets NOTHING she wants out of exposing you. All she really wants is money. If you don't pay her, she'll move on to try to blackmail someone else.

Do not pay her. Block her. Don't read or believe her threats. She's only trying to intimidate you to steal your money. The odds are nearly 100% that if you ignore her, she'll do absolutely nothing. If, on the other hand, you pay her and then keep paying her, the odds are 100% that she will keep threatening and asking for more money for the rest of your life until you stop.

Sexually explicit photos cannot be posted on Facebook or YouTube because they do not allow sexually explicit material. If they tried to post them there, those sites would take them down as soon as they were reported.

They could post them on a porn site, but who would find them there? If she did carry out the threat, you could contact the webhost of the site where the videos were posted and ask that they be taken down. If they won't do that for you, they would do that for your lawyer.

Chattiing and exchanging sexual videos with another adult is not illegal. You can report her to the police and online to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov