Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a legal question I need an answer can you do that…

Customer Question
I have a legal question...
I have a legal question I need an answer can you do that please?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your question?

In the State of Illinois, can someone other than the victim charge an individual with check fraud?

Only the prosecutor can actually file charges with the court. Criminal cases are brought in the name of the state. But if you're asking whether only the victim can report a crime to the police, the answer is no. Anybody with knowledge of a crime can report it. The victim's cooperation would generally be necessary, however, to make the charges stick.