Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

The local PD says they need to serve me paperwork... I’m…

Customer Question
The local PD says...

The local PD says they need to serve me paperwork... I’m concerned they may have a warrant. I check the local circuit court and the officer told me it was just paper work. Can I trust that it is just paper work?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

According to the PD and the circuit court there is no warrant... New Hampshire

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes some report was filed

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/14/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If there is a warrant for your arrest, that's an internal matter with the police report and the circuit court would not have a record of it. Could the police be lying to you? It's not impossible. They're allowed to. But more likely they're telling you the truth. If the had an arrest warrant, there would be no need for them to call you at all. They could just come to your home or place of business at any time without notice and round you up.

Police officers serve many kinds of documents. This could be a protective order, for example, or a summons. The only way to know for sure is to be there to accept service. Engage in deliberate ducking and that could at some point result in an arrest.

Why do you suspect a warrant?

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.