Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was given a ticket to appear in court for theft petit

I was given a...

I was given a ticket to appear in court for theft petit retail I have a clean record prior to this this happened against my better judgement my funds were low I’ve been a nurse for 36 years I’m my moms car giver 24/7 she’s on hospice I’m sleep deprived I know it’s no excuse but I’m scared of the consequences I wasn’t thinking straight.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Put in a call to one waiting for a call back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’ve been out of work since October and I’m married my husband is disabled I’ve been living with my Mom he’s in another county in Florida and not much help my life is s mess right now.

3/14/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If this is your first contact with the criminal justice system, there are typically programs which are offered first time shoplifters that allow them to work a conviction off of their record. These are diversion-types of dispositions where you agree to be supervised, pay some fines, perform some community service and take anti-theft classes while staying out of further trouble with the law during your supervision period. Complete it all successfully and no conviction is entered into your record. You could then honestly say you have no criminal convictions, which would not jeopardize your nursing license if you wish to return to work.

If you can afford a lawyer, have him at your first court date with you and let him negotiate something like this for you if you don't want to have an eventual trial. Or, if you cannot afford a lawyer and something like this isn't offered to you by the DA on your court date, plead not guilty when you're arraigned on the charges so that you can keep all of your rights open. Then you can ask the judge to appoint you a public defense lawyer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you your great had no idea there were any options open to me as I’ve never been in trouble my whole life. Thank you for your advise.

You're very welcome!

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Best of luck with the case.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD