Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a personal question. I was not convicted of Rape.

Hi! I have a personal...
Hi! I have a personal question. I was not convicted of Rape. Although I’m wondering if it’s true that only victim testimony and a victim’s story is required for a rape conviction, and that no physical evidence is required to be arrested. If this is true, could you provide legal sources for me on this issue? I’m working on an essay regarding no evidence being required contributing to a false rape allegation long story short. Thank you in advance.
3/14/2018
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for your question.

Yes, it's certainly possible to obtain a rape conviction based on the victim's testimony alone. The reason is because in order to obtain a rape conviction, what is required is for a jury to find "beyond reasonable doubt" that a rape occurred. The evidence in every case is different--there is no list of required types of evidence that may be presented. The jury considers EVERYTHING that is relevant and admissible and makes a finding on that evidence. If the victim's testimony is credible (i.e. they have never been known to lie, have no obvious ulterior motivations for lying, there are corroborating factors, etc.), then testimony alone can certainly be enough. You won't find a statute that says precisely this, because again, it just comes down to the standard of "beyond reasonable doubt" and the fact that anything that is relevant and admissible can be considered by the jury.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for this information! This has been very useful!! I appreciate this! I will be messaging you again soon.

I'm very glad I could help and I will look forward to assisting you in the future as your needs may require. Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know of any previous cases or recent cases where “testimonial evidence” was all that was required to be prosecuted for rape? Thank you.
LegalPro54
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer