Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I live in Arizona and I am wanting to get my felony set

aside however I owe lawyer...
I live in Arizona and I am wanting to get my felony set aside however I owe lawyer fees.. But see his is the thing I had 4 different cases one lawyer, I signed a plea bargain for attempted forgery and burglary in the 3rd degree which were on 2 different cases. So I am wanting to write a motion requestioning the judge to either clear my attorneys fees or drop it to one attorney fee. They charged me 4 different times $750 even tho the same attorney worked with me for all of the cases. My question I guess would be have u heard or that being possible some one said the judge may grant me some kind of hardship..
3/14/2018
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Generally a judge is not going to step into a contractual relationship that you had with your attorney. I assume that there was a written retainer agreement (or perhaps four) that detailed what your attorney was going to charge you for representation. A retainer only covers what is written in the retainer, it is not an agreement to represent you on any offenses that you might be charged with. So for example, if a client hires me on a DWI, that doesn't mean that I will also be representing him for free on a burglary and a driving after revocation unless the retainer indicates that I will be representing on any case that he might catch while I am representing him.

Oh I apologize it was a court appointed attorney like a public defender

Ahh. That clears things up. How are the assessments in Arizona done for the costs of a court appointed attorney. In Minnesota, the Court will appoint an attorney and either order a specific amount of a co-pay or sometimes order a certain amount per hour. The client then has the option of accepting this agreement or declining it.

Well they just ask if u can afford one and it was my first time getting in trouble (4times in a few months :( ) so they just order u to pay 750$ but if u can't afford that they do lower it but at the time I was shy/ scared to sat anything

I would petition the court to have your financial obligation lowered. Provide the court will information about your income and inability to pay to support your claim. I would also explain why you didn't ask for this earlier.

Good luck. Hope this helps. Feel free to follow up. If it was helpful, please give me a five star rating.

Great one last question I have the blank document where I would just write in whatever it is I'm asking but is there a certain way I should state it or a format I need to flow ? Or can I just write your honor, I am petioning the court to see if you would consider either lowering the amount t of attorneys fees I owe. Or even forgiving them. I am have not been in legal trouble for 7 years have been off probation for five and I am currently working in the medical field and trying to obtain my finger print clearance card. However, and kind of explain the situation as to why I have 4 different cases and never said anything all 4 times..

I think that the your explanation makes a lot of sense. I would just make sure that there are no typos and that you also explain your financial circumstances and why the financial burden is too much for you to meet.

Perfect thank you so much and yes I would be sure that the spelling and everything is correct. . I'm on lunch lol trying to type fast right now :)
Thank you again

You're most welcome. Good luck!! If this has been helpful, please give me a five star rating.

Jonathan Holson