Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I got a dui and i need a letter of discovery to receive the…

I got a dui...

I got a dui and i need a letter of discovery to receive the documents, videos etc for my case.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Idaho

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was arrested on 3/2/2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is second dui unfortunately. i do not have a lawyer nor can i afford the retainer

3/14/2018
Michael Bradley
Have you tried to apply for a public defender?
https://isc.idaho.gov/icr16
The state criminal discovery statute has been attached. All you need to do is send a generic letter to The prosecutor requesting all discovery pursuant to The statute
ive been looking at sample letters that i could edit. i think i found one that will work. i have gotten the paperwork for a public defender. unfortunately this particular one just stands there and says nothing. so im trying to do as much leg work myself as i can. i can afford monthly pmts on a lawyer but as a lawyer im sure you understand the need for a retainer. as i do also. is there a way i can attach this letter of discovery? there were several discrepancies during my arrest. i was followed 23 miles before pulling me over in front of my house. he breath tested me 4 times. also ua'd me. he did not do a back up blood test. all my tests were different. im not a lawyer. does any of this matter? im not trying to get out of doing wrong, but i do not want to be railroaded either. thank you so much for your time
also the adams county police that arrested me went to another county before following me home. i was 50 ft from my driveway
I have had an opportunity to look at your attached request for discovery. That form is just fine. I would not make any modifications to the request. All I would do is fill out the particulars at the top and send it as is. It is very similar to the Discovery requests that I make in my practice. I realize that many of those requests will not apply but you always attached a request for everything to be on the safe side.
thank you!
Your points are valid and could certainly bring Reasonable Doubt to your case with the possibility of acquittal. However, when it comes to a lot of issues regarding a DUI, it is fairly common that the test results will each be different. Further, they are not required to test you with blood and breathalyzer or any other possible test. Once they have Reasonable Suspicion they can proceed with testing you as they see fit. When it comes to a DUI a lot has to do with breathalyzers. If they suspect alcohol and or drugs, then they normally take blood
There is nothing wrong with you doing a good bit of leg work to make sure that you have all of the evidence that the prosecutor has against you. It is always best to have an attorney but I understand that being able to afford one is another matter.
Please rate my advice. While I do not do this for the ratings, my compensation is tied to the rating system. Thank you. Good luck. If you should have any further questions feel free to request me directly
Michael Bradley