Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My fiance is out on parole and was recently arrested on a…

My fiance is out...

My fiance is out on parole and was recently arrested on a misdemeanor 4th burglary -dwelling. He was told that he can be found guilty and not violate his parole as long as he isn't sentenced to any jail time. Is this true?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes his trial is on the 27th of this month

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is on parole for 1st degree murder if that matters

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is fine, do you need his name to and case number

No. This site is public and i'm sure he won't want that on the web.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok i wasn't sure if this was a public or private conversation

His parole officer has the discretion not to violate him. It is a misdemeanor and depending upon the facts and circumstances of the case, his PO may be willing to let it go so long as it can be resolved without jail. I have sometimes known parole to be willing to do that.

Parole can violate him just for the arrest if they wanted to. So if his PO hasn't done that, it sounds like they're not taking this matter too seriously, so long as the prosecutor doesn't think it deserves jail time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His lawyer says they are waiting to see if he is found guilty or not. And he didn't actually commit the crime. He wad there with someone trying to talk the person put of it. My fiance never went into the property he stayed outside and left when the person went in but failed to report it, and all they have is a foot print and the other person saying he was there

THat's possible too. The Parole Board can overrule his PO if he's found guilty and they want to put him in. If he has a strong case, however, and he did nothing wrong, he ought to fight it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanku

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

I wish your fiancé good luck!

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD