Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What is required for a police officer to get a resignation…

What is required for a...
What is required for a police officer to get a resignation letter from another police department to include it in a report
3/13/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Please explain a bit more?

a txdps officer obtained a copy of a resignation letter and provided it as evidence in a report
rhe resignation is that of another now former police officer

Thank you for your reply.

Under Section 143.089 of the Texas Local Government Code, the personnel files maintained by departments is public record subject to public records requests. So there is no issue for departments sharing contents of the employee personnel files in Texas according to the Texas State laws.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

ok.. is there a requirement to at least ask for it in writting .. or can they just ask and it is turned over

Thank you for your reply.

The law does not say, but from one department to the other it can be just a verbal request most times. So if it was obtained by a Texas DPS officer, that would be one department to another.