Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

The original offense was in MD in 1989 for a misdemeanor of…

The original offense was...

The original offense was in MD in 1989 for a misdemeanor of possession, marijuana. When Howard County went digital they entered it as other substances making it a felony. Without knowing that a gun was attempted to be purchased which resulted in an arrest in PA where I reside now. Can I sue? And what kind of lawyer would I need?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

The original offense was in Maryland. The current charge is in Pennsylvania for attempting to buy a firearm and falsifying documents

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

When I was turned down for the gun and told it was because of a felony on my background last June I immediately called MD and found out it was due to a clerical error. I called my previous attorney from MD and she was finding the paperwork of the original charge for me. Suddenly this past Wed I was charged with the falsifying documents charge. I want to know if I can sue MD for their mistake that resulted in this PA charge and for emotional distress as well as the fact that I live in a small town and can no longer coach, etc and was arrested in front of my neighbors

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, no worries

While government agencies and their employees have limited liability from suit or prosecution, negligence on the part of the clerk who made this error resulted in a wrongful arrest and damages. You would need a civil trial lawyer who is not afraid to head to head with government agencies. This is a negligence case and also has civil rights implications.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Something like this is every citizen's worst nightmare. I hope you get justice through the courts.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD