Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

The original offense was in MD in 1989 for a misdemeanor of…

The original offense was...

The original offense was in MD in 1989 for a misdemeanor of possession, marijuana. When Howard County went digital they entered it as other substances making it a felony. Without knowing that a gun was attempted to be purchased which resulted in an arrest in PA where I reside now. Can I sue? And what kind of lawyer would I need?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

The original offense was in Maryland. The current charge is in Pennsylvania for attempting to buy a firearm and falsifying documents

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

When I was turned down for the gun and told it was because of a felony on my background last June I immediately called MD and found out it was due to a clerical error. I called my previous attorney from MD and she was finding the paperwork of the original charge for me. Suddenly this past Wed I was charged with the falsifying documents charge. I want to know if I can sue MD for their mistake that resulted in this PA charge and for emotional distress as well as the fact that I live in a small town and can no longer coach, etc and was arrested in front of my neighbors

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Ok, no worries

While government agencies and their employees have limited liability from suit or prosecution, negligence on the part of the clerk who made this error resulted in a wrongful arrest and damages. You would need a civil trial lawyer who is not afraid to head to head with government agencies. This is a negligence case and also has civil rights implications.

Thank you

Something like this is every citizen's worst nightmare. I hope you get justice through the courts.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD