Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How can we get the judge to lower a bond for a violent

How can we get...

How can we get the judge to lower a bond for a violent crime(shooting at cop car) but was due to a mental breakdown. Is there even a chance or is the idea of getting the

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Bond lowered stupid. KS and it was a cop car so 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He’s in jail

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They were at our home and not in public.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He was having the breakdown at our home. They scared him. We are just trying to see him before he does real time in mental hospital or jail
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lawyer is afraid to ask. He has no priors etc. good citizens. The bond is too high.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
The issue is.... he was AT HOME when he shot at a police car so the odds of a judge lowering a bond so someone can go home are not especially high. That being said, it pretty much *never* hurts to try to get it lowered.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What difference does it make at home? He was out of it from alcohol and mental illness. We hope to get him help like psychiatrist etc if he could come home. The jails he’s at doesn’t offer these services and he’s getting worse. 6 million bond seems high no?

I've actually never seen a bond that high... the lawyer in cases such as these argues (typically) that the bail is PUNITIVE... and then the judge makes a determination.

The reason I even mention the home is because the incident happened when the person was home so you'd essentially need to establish why it wouldn't happen at home again. Does that make sense?

-----------

Reminder: this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah. Thea attorney says that since we was shooting he’s afraid to ask as it may be an insult. Hmm....my hopes that with him being on meds again, (neutralized) I read the only reason would be asked a reasonable bond or is murder or attempted murder. Premeditated

In general, when the shooting is done at law enforcement that frequently leads to a higher bond - but, again, it doesn't hurt to ask - especially if you feel the bail is punitive moreso than anything.

Please let me know if I can answer anything else for you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can a wife ask the judge or speak to the judge in a meeting. I feel we have a lot of circumstances that are not being considered. Yes he does have an attorney

If he has an attorney then you'd generally be speaking through the attorney. The judge is unlikely to speak directly to the spouse if there is an attorney... I just want to be honest with you about that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Blah! So frustrated. Literally nothing I can do but pay a high retainer and that’s it. No therapy help, no bond that suitable. Thank you!

My pleasure. I'm here if I can answer anything else for you!

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer