Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am in a relationship with someone currently living in erie…

I am in a...

I am in a relationship with someone currently living in erie community corrections centre PA. I currently live in scotland. He has around 6 years left on probation. He is 20 years old. His criminal conviction were committed when he was under 18. Is there any way to reduce his parole or a way that he can travel outside of the united states before the parole period is finished?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I dont understand the question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's everything. We want to be able to live together, get married and start a family. Where he is living i feel the people around him are pushing him to reoffend. He hasn't though. He wants to be able to move to scotland and start a new life here with me.

3/13/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Is a condition of his parole that he can't leave the state?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is allowed to leave Pennsylvania but as he resides in a half way house, he is on curfew. That is his only restriction

So in theory he can move to you, right? OR does he have to live in the half-way house?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried finding information online. Aparently, legally he can have a passport but i don't think he can travel outside the US whilst on parole. I live in scotland, in the UK.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is not restricted to living in the half way house. They encourage him to get employment and an apartment.

Whether he can legally leave the country would be a question for his parole officer. Everyone has different probation terms.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know if there is a way to get parole reduced?

Yes; he'd need to petition the court. Generally if the prosecutor and the parole officer are on board that helps the situation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't seem to find relevant information online as to whether there is a way to get parole time reduced.

Well, it's case specific and it requires petitioning the court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh okay thank you. I'll let him know

It's my pleasure. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you

Happy to help. I hope it works out!

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer