Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was just notified after an employment background check…

Customer Question
I was just notified...

I was just notified after an employment background check that I had a warrant for a worthless check in TN 12 years ago. I’m trying to find out my options. Has the statue of limitations run out

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

The warrant issued nov. 2006 in Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Other than the warrant not that I’m aware of. I moved in 2008 out of state

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/12/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

An arrest warrant never expires so it would just sit there waiting for you to come into contact with law enforcement who would then have to arrest you and take you into custody. They would then notify the issuing state that they have you through the Governor and then the issuing state's Governor would have to decide whether he wanted to incur the cost of extraditing you back to TN. For a bad check, he likely wouldn't and you would be released a couple weeks after you are arrested. But the process can repeat over and over until you get this taken care of..

.

So your best recourse is to contact a local criminal defense attorney in TN and have him approach the issuing judge to see if they would agree to recall the warrant and convert it to a summons so you can appear in court to deal with it without fear of being arrested.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law