Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can you believe that I was arrested for calling 911 after…

Customer Question
Hi..can you believe that...

Hi..can you believe that I was arrested for calling 911 after being threatened.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Virginia,in November 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

My court case is in 2 weeks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/12/2018
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. What were you charged with, and why were you charged?

What specifically did you want to know?

False info to Leo. Should I file false arrest?
I received a call threatening my family. He told me he was going to bring a gun and kill my Husband and I and kidnap my grandson. He lives 4 hours away, when he showed up at my house, I knew he was serious, so I called 911. They officer said she arrested me because he did not have a gun on his person, but they didn't even check his car.

Thank you for your reply.

Without a full case evaluation I cannot properly (nor ethically) advise you whether to file a civil case or not. What I can tell you is that you must wait to file any civil case until the criminal case is resolved. That's because in order to succeed in the case for you need to first win the underlying criminal case. In order to be potentially win that claim, you need to show that the police acted with improper purpose in going after you and that the claim was baseless - they did not have probable cause to bring the case. If youj are found guilty of the charge, then you will not met that burden, and the civil case will not succeed.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything or provide you with additional information.