Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I want to restore my rights from a possesion of cocaine (

I want to restore...

I want to restore my rights from a possesion of cocaine ( less than a gram} felony, over 18 years ago, in Galveston, County Texas, I now live in Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Texas, Galveston County, Possesion of cocaine, very small amount, less than a gram,

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I know of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Texas is the state that took away your rights, so Texas is the state that would have to give them back. Your right to vote in Texas is automatically restored after the completion of your sentence. All of your other civil rights, including your Second Amendment rights will require a pardon from the governor.

You can see the form and the instructions for the pardon here. No lawyer is required in order to obtain a pardon.

https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/forms/FP%20App.pdf

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD