Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was with a married and his wife is threatening me by text…

Customer Question
I was with a...

I was with a married and his wife is threatening me by text message. Come to my house and curse,even send other people. I am really scared for my life

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a few text messages from her

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/12/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

You can report her to the police. The recourse for a person whose spouse has an affair is to file for divorce. It's not to stalk, harass, and threaten the other person. Legally, it doesn't matter what you did, it doesn't give her the right to go after you personally. When she comes to your house without permission, she is trespassing. You do not need to allow her entry or even open the door. You can direct her through the door to leave, and if she refuses, call the police. Alternatively, you could send her a letter in advance stating expressly that she does not have permission to be on your property - or to send third parties - and that if you see her or her friends near your home, you will contact police immediately.

If she approaches you in public, and is cursing or causing a scene, that's creating a public disturbance, which is a misdemeanor.

Second degree stalking occurs when a person "follows, lies in wait for, monitors, observes, surveils, threatens, harasses, communicates with or sends unwanted gifts to, a person, or (2) interferes with a person's property." From what you've said, her behavior falls within that definition. It's a Class A misdemeanor. When you file a police report, you can also ask them to help you get a restraining order against her.

There is also a civil cause of action for intentional infliction of emotional distress, which is what happens when someone engages in a course of conduct that serves no legitimate purpose and is done solely to upset someone else. Revenge is not considered a legitimate purpose. So you could file a lawsuit against her, or you could try having a local attorney send her a "cease and desist" letter explaining that you will sue if she doesn't stop.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?