Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I want to own a gun, but I have a child endangerment charge…

I want to own a...
I want to own a gun, but I have a child endangerment charge from 15 years ago. I plead no contest and was given a from of probation which I completed with no problem. May I be able to pass a background check and buy a firearm?
3/12/2018
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

A child endangerment conviction will bar gun ownership in some states. What state are you in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
TX. Can I get it expunged? Should I do that first?

Just a minute while I check TX law for you.

Getting close. I appreciate your patience.

Was thew child endangerment conviction classified as a felony?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe so. I was looking at two years state jail, which is why i opted for deferred adjudication

Felony or not, you should be fine since it was 15 years ago. The limitations are for more recent convictions.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue to provide assistance. If I have answered your, please leave a positive rating where indicated. 5-star ratings are especially appreciated!

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ugh plus my lawyer was harassing me for sexual favors in lieu of money, bad situation all around

Definitely bad. At least it's oiver.

If interested, you can read all the specifics here:

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/prohibited-purchasers-generally-in-texas/

Take care.

Best,

Attorney 1

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. So I’ll be ok to go tomorrow and complete the forms and start gun ownership process? Thank you! I’ll rate right now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One more thing! So on all questions about about being convicted of a felony do I check yes or no ( because of deferred adjudication)

You're welcome.

The questions should be more precise, such as "Have you been convicted of a felony in the last five years?" If not, you should be honest on the application, and maybe also state the year of the conviction and date of release, charges, such as non-violent child endangerment, etc. The dealer may also have some suggestions.

Best,

Attorney 1

Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer
Attorney 1
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer