Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

The tort committed by the United States Postal Service

employees against me is 'False...
The tort committed by the United States Postal Service employees against me is 'False Imprisonment' which fall neither under diversity nor federal question. Can I still sue them in Federal Court?
3/11/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is also a civil rights violation, not just false imprisonment and as such it comes under Federal Court. Furthermore, because it is a federal government employee in performance of their job duties, you can only sue a federal agency in federal court, not state court.

It has nothing about diversity. It has to do with the defendant being a federal employee and a federal agency involved and also because this does fall under 42 USC 1983 in addition to false imprisonment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.