Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Am I allowed to purchase a firearm in PA with an arrest from…

Customer Question
Am I allowed to...

Am I allowed to purchase a firearm in PA with an arrest from 2003 ? I was arrested for Possession of marijuana when I was 16 in New York.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

I currently live in PA and I was arrested back in NY of 2003.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had to do community service , I didn't do any jail time or have any probabtion

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/11/2018
Criminal Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Parties convicted of violations of the Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act are precluded from gun ownership pursuant to 35 Pa. Stat. Ann. § 780-101 et seq.

However it is possible to file a motion with the court requesting permission to own a gun. Please see 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 6105(d).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I purchased a firearm 5 years ago with no issues. Why is it an issue now?

Perhaps the conviction did not appear during the background check conducted before.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
am I not allowed to own my firearm then?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can something not appear on record one year then appears another? Is the system not that thorough enough on purchasing firearms ?

Pursuant to 35 PA Stat Ann 780-101 et seq it would require court approval.

There have been instances where the required background check misses past convictions. Please see for example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/fbi-database-for-gun-buyers-missing-millions-of-records/2017/11/10/dd87ff8c-c4c4-11e7-aae0-cb18a8c29c65_story.html

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer