Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If there are 3 co defendants and only one has seen discovery…

Customer Question
if there are 3 co...
if there are 3 co defendants and only one has seen discovery and been thru several court appearences they can not forse the other 2 to a speedy trial without due process like seeing discovery and such
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/11/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 month ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Are all three co-defendants showing up in court on the same date and standing up before the judge together? Or haven't the cases been consolidated?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I 'have no clue every time I go for discovery it gets shut down this last time my lawyer had 2 of us and he bowed out because of conflict of interest and now this person .has the lawyer that the other co defendant had and me and that just got another apt attorney and our next court date we all go together

With three co-defendants, in my experience, the problem won't be that you'll be rushed into trial. The problem is it will take a great deal longer to get to trial. The cases have to be formally consolidated, all defendants have to have their discovery. All lawyers have to engage in motion practice and all will get the hearings they are entitled to.

Add this to the fact that you're coordinating the appearances of three different defense lawyers, all of whom are not going to be available on each and every court date for one good reason or another having mostly to do with their other cases and trial obligations.

I suggest you have nothing to worry about. In fact, you're far more likely to be upset about how long it's taking and how many court appearances you're showing up for where nothing meaningful is happening because one of the lawyers is on vacation, out of town or on trial.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD