Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How do I go about getting my dad out of jail, should I get a…

How do I go about...
How do I go about getting my dad out of jail , should I get a bail bondsman.?
3/11/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post and I'm working on your reply now.

Okay

If bail/bond is already set on him and you have the entire amount, you can take the money to the holding facility and pay for his release. Call the facility and they can tell you what form of payment they accept.

If you don't have the full amount and can't raise that, then you can consult a bondsman. Bondsmen will charge you anywhere between 10 to 15% of the amount set. You will never get that money back. But as long as your father doesn't get rearrested and makes his court appearances, you won't ever have to come up with the rest of the money.

If you think the case is likely to be dismissed or that the complainant may not want to prosecute, you might want to wait a bit before posting bail, but the above is what you'd do whenever you decide to do it.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

His court date is today , I'm going to call a bail bondsman before court
Me and my dad picked up a RV from Alabama , he had to change tires so we could drive it back. When we got to Vaiden , me and my dad were at a gas station and this guy pulled up fast in front of us claiming we stolen a tire. We have no idea who this man is so we take off. Well then we get pulled over by these two sheriff's and tell them what's going on so they let me and my dad go. When we get right outside of batesville ms , their police pull us over and says carroll county wants then to hold us. So we hold and the cop said he smelled weed so I admitted it might be roaches in the ashtray , so I allowed then to search the vehicle and they found a little of Marijuana in my purse I forgot about so I got a ticket. When the other cop come from carroll county he really rude and locked my dad up and telling him to shut up when my dad was telling him he had a receipt for a tire he paid the man we purchased the RV from , and a bill of sale for the RV. He's in Caroll County right now and their saying different charges every time I asked now they are saying it's petty larceny, with a bond of 1300 , but they said that he also had charges in grenada for some uncertain reason, but his charges there are assult and grand larceny when he didn't do anything. Now they telling me my RV in being held in Grenada county and it's going to be 900 to get it out. I'm confused about what to do , he needs a good lawyer.

You'll find out exactly what is holding him in when you go to court this morning. Then you can arrange for bond. As a jail case, he may have a public defender assigned to his case when he comes in through the system to see the judge today. That would give you a lawyer to talk to who can give you some details about what he's up against.

You can frequently see a lawyer you like just by being in the courtroom and watching them at work. If someone impresses you, you can approach him and see if you can retain him for your dad's case. It's done all of the time. Otherwise, to find a lawyer try the Mississippi Bar Association's Lawyer Referral SErvice. They charge a fee of about $50 for the referral which includes a free half-hour consultation with the attorney.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=MS

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD
What if I can't make it to court , just getting off work