Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

In California is it illegal to drive threw the ungated

unsecured parking lot where...
In California is it illegal to drive threw the ungated unsecured parking lot where in that building is a section of the local police department parks there unmarked cars an take pictures of them. My nieghbors told me cars motorcycle all unmarked an even one female have been taking pictures of my residence an my house I own in the same court. The female walked right up to the threshold of an open garage door an took what the nieghbors said was alot of pictures. Next day two men on riding one BMW motorcle with full coverage helmets with mirrored face shields did the same drive by picture taking. I've done nothing wrong . I took the pictures to show nieghbors if she seen these vechiles. Either it's cops doing it or thieves caseing my property. Could I be in trouble. Ok maybe I overreacted but they shouldn't be up on top of my garage which is not on the mail box side of the house.
3/10/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the parking lot is private property, then they do not have a right to be on private property. So if they are coming onto private property without consent, they are trespassing. The cops can come onto private property to investigate incidents. As far as parking on the lot or continually trespassing, you need to call the police regarding the trespassing when they are seen on the property.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

The police parking lot was not posted private property . I don't think I'll drive by in a different vehicle an won't do this again it wasn't my most brilliant plan. But I got pist off they were driving by taking pics of my family homes. There has been no incident at my empty house across the street. But I will go put up a no tress passing sign on my property an remove the mail box attached to the house an put it out on a post on the sidewalk.from what I gather from what you said I didn't break any laws because other bussiness park in the same lot. It's not a restricted area for police only. I think. I'm 63 no felonies not even a traffic ticket in 27 yrs.

Thank you for your reply.

It does not need to be posted as private property if it is owned by someone else, it is private property and you cannot trespass on somebody else's property without their consent. So, put up a no trespassing sign and if they come onto your property, call the police.

I should have used a drone. Like they do. An it was the police who tresspassed onto my property but oh well I did learn something. So I'm satisfied. I'm posting sign no tresspassing signs an moving the mail box to the curb. Thank you

Thank you for your reply.

Great idea using a drone.