Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I occasionally deliver food for a friends resturant, making…

Hello. I occasionally deliver food...
Hello. I occasionally deliver food for a friends resturant, making mostly tips and very little pay. I haven’t made much, And was told it’s not worth claiming since I don’t have a W2 or anything. I work a few other jobs and paid taxes on them, and taxes on tuition reimbursements, and bonds, etc. I have to file for fafsa for a loan for graduate school. I have to Include my tax information, as well as my current balance of my checking and savings account. I don’t believe I have to provide the details of the account such as account number and stuff, just the balance. By giving the balance an I implying the government or my school has my approval to access my accounts and look at my finance history and activity? I hardly ever have much, unless I do side jobs and help around the neighborhood. Does the government or Institution have ability to look into my accounts arbitrarily or am I letting paranoia get the best of me?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Well, a little paranoia is a healthy thing when you're dealing with any government entity, especially the Internal Revenue Service.

"It's not worth claiming" means they haven't withheld any income tax on your pay, because you should always file for a refund when you don't owe tax. The threshold for a single filer this year is $10,400. If you earned less than that, you have no filing requirement.

Generally speaking, government agencies cannot arbitrarily go snooping into your financial accounts. But, if you owe a tax deficiency, the IRS can run your credit report to obtain information for a levy. And bear in mind, every year, banks and employers send all kinds of documents to the IRS about your finances: Form 1099-INT shows interest your accounts earned; Form 1099-DIV shows dividends paid to you from investment accounts; Form 1099-MISC shows a variety of types of payments including those to self employed independent contractors; you get the idea. So the IRS already has information on your finances.

When you apply for financial aid, that information is private under FAFSA's rules. If you authorize FAFSA to share information with other agencies, those agencies are required to maintain privacy under FERPA.

Bot***** *****ne is that no government entity other than the one you authorize will be able to view your information. To view your private information, the agency has to have a valid reason, and a subpoena or a court order. The one thing I'd advise is to not include any personal information in any email sent to any agencies. Email can be easily intercepted or abused. If there is any private financial or personal information that you would like to provide in association with your FAFSA information, consider sending it via snail mail marked "Confidential" to:

Federal Student Aid Information Center
P.O. Box 84
Washington, D.C. 20044

Hope that answered your question. If so please don't forget to rate this answer. You may always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.

I deliver food off the books, and I don’t really keep track of how much I make. Also, I get tips from delivering newspapers, and doing odd jobs around the neighborhood. If I have 2-3k in my bank account, since I have to report on the fafsa how much I have in my accounts, do I have to worry about being arrested, or being investigated. I don’t owe the irs anything to the best of my knowledge. I was told by another lawyer that the irs doesn’t have enough man power or enough time to keep tabs on everyone’s bank account, and it would cost more money for them to go after me than I possibly could make from delivering pizzas. Am I paranoid over nothing, I pay and claim what my tax guy advises me too. I think I’ve watched too many crime shows that I think if I have 3k in my bank but my W2s show I only made 5-7k for the year someone is going to investigate me
By giving the amount in my bank accounts can I be silently agreeing to an investigation? Or was the advice I received correct, that the federal government doesn’t have the time nor interest to go after a college student who pays taxes, never broke the law, and just drivers some pizzas

First: don't ever assume that the government doesn't have the time or interest to pursue any type of investigation. That is a faulty assumption. Yes, they have priorities. But if they are provided with evidence of a crime, they are obligated to at least look into it.

In your case, I see no evidence of anything that any government agency would take an interest in. It's interesting that you have a "tax guy." I presume you are filing a tax return so you can obtain a refund of your withheld taxes, being that you don't owe any taxes if you earned less then $10,400.

By providing a bank balance, you are just complying with an agency requirement that you disclose your assets/net worth. You are not agreeing to anything that is not stated in the documents that you sign. And you shouldn't be required to disclose personal information such as account numbers.

By the way, if you do not expect to be making more money this year, i.e., if your 2018 earned income will be less than the standard deduction next year ($12,000), then you should not be having any taxes withheld. You should submit a new Form W-4 requesting that you be exempt from withholding. That way you'll have the money in your pocket every paycheck and you won't have to file a tax return at all.

There are some things that you can "silently" agree to, but entering your account balance on a loan application does not imply that you are consenting to a government intrusion into your bank accounts. "Consent" in this context has to be express, or you have to take steps to disclose the information intentionally so that your consent may be "implied."

James Daloisio
Ahh ok. I was nervous because I feared somehow the government would come after me for having 2-3k in my account when I only made 5k. I honestly don’t know how much I made delivering food. As it varies but I do believe it’s less than 10,4.I understand in order to come after me they have to prove what I made, which is very difficult since I don’t even know as I said I’ve gotten tips here and there, fixed my neighborhors cars occasionally etc.I pay every year what my accountant tells me I have to pay. He advised since I don’t have a w2 for the Delivery, and I truly don’t have an estimate that it’s not that important. I raise no red flags. I pay on time every year.If the irs some reason believes I owe them more, would they inform me, or would I wake up to officers arresting me?
I have a tax guy because I’m an independent contractor
i usually pay money since little is witheald. I just take all my documents to him, and I wind up paying money

Hello again,

Alright, as an independent contractor you have to file a tax return if you earned more than $400.00.

If you show a profit on your Schedule C, don't forget to file Schedule SE and pay your self employment tax. I'm sure your "tax guy" is taking care of it for you.

You don't get arrested for owing the IRS money; not unless you are a criminal mastermind and have committed crimes to avoid the payment of tax. The IRS just wants money. And before they do anything unkind to you, they will notify you with a barrage of letters.

Just make sure you read and respond, if necessary, to any correspondence that you receive from the IRS or from your state tax agency. The worst thing people to is ignore those letters.

I hope I've given you some peace of mind here...you're worrying way too much :)

Ah ok. So I’ll have plenty of chances to pay, make a payment plan, or figure it out with them. Thank you sir

You're welcome. And yes, they love to resolve things. And get their money.

If you ever receive a letter saying you owe a tax, read it carefully. Make sure you understand it. Confirm that you really do owe the money. That's the first mistake people make. Sometimes the IRS disallows a deduction because they don't have any substantiation of it. Rather than pay the tax, you may just be able to submit some documents or receipts.

If you do in fact owe money, it's super easy to get a payment plan these days.

I will leave you with this note: Make sure you pay your self employment tax. One day, if you ever have employees, make sure you pay their Social Security and MediCare, etc. Don't ever get behind on those payments.

Okay sir! Thank you for relieving my stress. I was worried I’d find myself in prison!
Could you please closeout this question or lock it :)