Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

On Thursday of this week, I was helping a friend out with a…

Hello ... on Thursday...

Hello ... on Thursday of this week, I was helping a friend out with a "flip" of a house. I had never been to this particular house and mistakenly opened the storm door to the wrong house (beside where I was supposed to go). I saw furniture and heard someone say "hello?", but I immediately shut the door because I knew it was the wrong house. Later that morning, I saw a girl outside the house and told her that I accidentally opened the door to their house. I wanted to let her know so she wasn't worried. Yesterday, I received a non-traffic citation/summons for "def tres posted" and am expected to pay $50 for pleading not-guilty and then it will go to trial. I am just flabbergasted by this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

3/10/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

i wish to continue online, thank you

What is your specific question?

Hello ... on Thursday of this week, I was helping a friend out with a "flip" of a house. I had never been to this particular house and mistakenly opened the storm door to the wrong house (beside where I was supposed to go). I saw furniture and heard someone say "hello?", but Iimmediately shut the door because I knew it was the wrong house. Later that morning, I saw a girl outside the house and told her that I accidentally opened the door to their house. I wanted to let her know so she wasn't worried. Yesterday, I received a non-traffic citation/summons for "def tres posted" and am expected to pay $50 for pleading not-guilty and then it will go to trial. I am just flabbergasted by this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Thank you.

You did trespass, but if you go to court and explain the situation, I doubt the court would convict based on an honest mistake with no actual damage.

Additionally, if the owner of the property does not appear then the charges will be dismissed.

You will need to appear, however, in order to address the charge.

Could this woman be looking to make money out of this? Do you know if I will get my $50 back if I show up in court and the charges are dismissed?

I do not know how they could make money without any damages.

Yes, you should get back the $50 if the charges are dismissed.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

This is just crazy to me. Thank you for your advice. Yes, I do believe those were my only questions.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer