Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a question regarding a case that indicates he was…

I have a question...

I have a question regarding a case that indicates he was sentenced for batter 850.00 plus two days in jail for Battery. However the last document that was uploaded indicated that he has a pretrial on April 12. How could he change his plea to guilty but he recieved a notice of hearing pre trial date of April 12 but I can't figure out why. Would he be going to have the no contact order lifted as it currently indicated he can't be with in 1000 feet

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

It was a battery against my child a long term relationship where he became violent with my daughter and was arrested for domestic battery

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I really just want to know why would there be a hearing when he appears as though he was already sentences they are calling it a notice of hearing

3/10/2018
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help today - When it comes to court dates post plea there are two things that could be going on. First, the pretrial date could reflect the fact that he wants to withdraw his guilty plea and the judge has set the date to hear that motion. If he plead guilty it will be up to the judge if they want to give him that option. The second, it could be a pretrial date to set to file any additional motions on bond, such as a travel motion for work, etc. There would not be a judge in the state that would lift the no contact order after he plead guilty.

I hope I have answered your question, can you please rate my answer with five stars.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He initially plead not guilty and than changed his plea to guilty at the pre trial that was held on 3.8.18 so does that mean he can in the same hearing change his plea from Not Guilty to Guilty and than back to not guilty he was sentenced to 2 days 2 times served was accepted he reiceve a fine of 900. 00 and paid the same day. But now there a new notice of hearing for April 12th i just don't understand why that is.

He would have up to 30 days to file a motion to vacate his guilty plea - But it would be up to the judge to grant that. He does not have any appeal rights for pleading guilty. It could be a pretrial date to make sure he has done the two days. A pretrial can be for anything related to the case.

LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer
LegalDan
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer